Wondering where the chirping sounds were coming from, I walked behind this guy for two blocks before I realized he had two birds riding on his shoulders.
On another note, six months in Korea have passed more quickly than I expected. I am at my half-way point and there are so many things about Korea that still baffle me and feel completely foreign.
A couple of things I've noticed:
- Koreans love coffee. There are at least three coffee shops, and oftentimes more than that, on every block throughout most areas of Seoul.
- An act of brilliance: convenience stores set folding chairs and tables for customers to enjoy just-purchased beverages and snacks.
- Foreign teachers are frequently hired based more on physical
appearances than on qualifications. Furthermore, the standard of beauty
seems to be judged based on a six-year-old's perspective: "Will little
Sally respect the new foreign teacher if she/he isn't pretty enough?"
- There are very few public trash cans. Instead, one either carries around the garbage for blocks or more likely, drops it on the curb. Thus, Korean cities hire people to pick up the garbage that piles up on the curbs.
- While it is unacceptable to call in sick, it is acceptable to come to school so hungover that one instructs their kids that today is a silent class and keep the lights turned off.
- Baby clothes are more expensive than many adult clothes. Sorry, baby Reagan. No cool Korean fashion onesies for you.

No comments:
Post a Comment