Way back in November, Ishikawa once again set out for glory at the bi-annual JET soccer tournament. This time looked a little worrisome with out the fierce Higa-sister duo. We also set out to a new location, Awaji Island. (The last two tournaments that Ishikawa participated in took place in Nagano.) Awaji is an island located on the south east side of Honshu. There's a map with an arrow pictured below. If your looking at the map I live on the hooked purple peninsula on the west coast of Honshu.
Though it was November, the weather felt more like September. The weather was gorgeous and sunny the entire weekend. And the energy brought by the teams reflected it. For once Ishikawa was not the largest, youngest, most obnoxious team at the tournament. An area without competition at the Nagano tournaments where the teams consist of mostly middle-aged men who take soccer way too seriously with a few ALTs and Japanese friends here and there.
Karen, Kaho, and I on defense.
Though playing with out the fierce Higa-sister duo, we managed to pull together and play like a team under the guidance of Coach Damo. Karen, Kaho, and I took care of the defense this tournament, but most of our good fortune should be accredited to Maggie, who is an amazing and terrifying goalie. I am sooo happy she's on our team and not an opponent.
I made a goal! I made a goal! I don't know why that didn't come up sooner. I made a goal! Like I said I was defense for most of the tournament, but I moved up for a corner kick. I recieved the ball, looked around, saw the oppenent jump in front of me and thought, "Oh no! Get rid of the ball!" I kicked it to Liz. The girl moved toward Liz. She kicked it back to me, and I kicked the ball as hard as I could in the direction of the goal. It sailed over the goalie's shoulder into net. "Oh my God! I made my first goal!"
We finished off the weekend once again taking third place, celebrating with champaign, and hauling our tired, sore, and bruised but elated selves back home to Ishikawa.









No comments:
Post a Comment