Time to take a deep breath and remember last weekend, which was one of those great moments in Japan that makes me want to stay here longer. A group of about 17 excited snow sportsmen and women met in Hakuba, Nagano for a cozy weekend of skiing and snowboarding. I tried skiing last year, but decided to try snow boarding this year because there were a couple of other beginners. The weekend was amazing.
Kaitlyn and Cory at the top of a run.
Saturday, after the drawn-out process of eleven people renting snowboard and ski gear and purchasing a ski-lift pass, Cory, Kaitlyn and I set out to teach ourselves how to snowboard. If you combined Kaitlyn's three experiences, Cory's one-time experience in high school, and my one-time sand boarding in Namibia, we had about 4 1/2 days worth of experience between us.
Saturday night multi-lingual/cultural Catch-Phrase.
Cory and Kaitlyn, I believe, managed to get through the weekend without any much embarrassing mishaps. On Sunday, I, on the other hand, fell off the green beginners trail and onto a black advanced hill. Unable to crawl back up to the green, which I tried for longer than I should have, I realized that I was going to have to heave myself down the terrifying mogul hill in front of me. So I took a deep breath, cursed at myself, stood up on my board, balanced, and plunged forward. I fell on my already sore butt. Cursing, I stood up again, balanced, tried to more tentatively ease myself over the mogul. I fell again. This became a pattern I kept all the way down the hill. Stand, balance, heave myself over a mogul, fall on my butt.
Saturday night nabe dinner.
When I was about halfway down the mountain, I spotted Cory and Kaitlyn sitting at the bottom of the mogul mountain looking around, presumably, wondering where I could have gone. Not wanting them to witness my disastrous crashing down the mountainside I waited until I had only about 15 meters to go and could see an end to the mogul hell before I called out to them. There were lots of shouts as I slid past them continuing down the mountain on the once again green trail.
Nagano mountains.
Next Kaitlyn and I decided to head up to another green trail on the other side of the mountain. We realized that this might have been a mistake when we arrived at the top and saw wind funnels of snow making their way across our path. We had to sit down on the side of the trail and wait for the wind storm to pass before making our way down. We noticed that there were quite a few less people attempting the trail today than the day before. Inching our way along, pausing whenever we saw funnels coming our way, we made it down the mountain in pretty good time with relatively less falls than our other runs.
I'm already looking forward to my next weekend snowboarding, whenever that may be.
Most photos taken by Adam Fore.




No comments:
Post a Comment