Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Busan for Buddha's Birthday

A summary: Buddha's Birthday is a national holiday in Korea. Working at a hagwon, I am granted very few holidays. Having a three day weekend, meant it was time for me to head out of Seoul and to the beach. Friday night, I sat for five and a half hours on the train as it journeyed from Seoul to Busan. After arriving in Busan at 3:00 AM Saturday morning, I headed to Haeundae Beach to begin my day.

For the next three days, I relaxed on the beach and borrowed Sarah's book since I had forgotten my own. Thanks, Sarah! If you haven't read Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris, I recommend it. I laughed so hard that I cried in the middle of a crowded beach.

Haeundae beach view, 7:00 AM, Saturday morning.


My favorite: Kimbab for breakfast. Seaweed, rice, and vegetables rolled into an Asian-style burrito.

Traditional market street where my hostel was located. Adjectives: lively, friendly, fishy, smelly.
Gorgeous sand sculptures being sculpted for the upcoming Sand Festival.

A happy accident: On Sunday, not realizing it would take more than an hour and a half, I went for a stroll from Haeundae beach to Gwangali beach. Fortunately, Gwangali has a more impressive view and fewer crowds.

Famous Gwangang bridge viewed from Gwangali beach.



Trump World: location Busan, between Haeundae and Gwangali beaches. Dad, this building made me think of you.








Magic Man and his friends.
The most impressive magic trick: At dinner, on Saturday night, Magic Man (pictured on the right), took Sarah's hands. He asked her to ball them into fists. He grabbed a cigarette, pretended to light it and feigned extinguishing it on her balled fist. He smiled confidently and asked Sarah to open her fists. As she unfolded her fingers, we saw a dot of dark gray ash smudged on her palm precisely opposite where he had  put out his imaginary flame. We hadn't seen his trick coming and were pretty stunned with the turn out.

That sums up my trip. Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment