Friday, March 11, 2011

Earthquake: Disaster Strikes Japan

8.9 magnitude earthquake off the coast of Sendai, Japan.

It's Friday night and I was determined to get caught up on my blog. And then I began to think about how silly it seemed silly to be attempting to catch up on my blog when one of the largest earthquakes in at least a hundred and fifty years just hit Japan this afternoon.




I don't think anyone realized how big of a disaster the quake was going to be when we first felt it. I for one was sitting at my desk planning my next English bulletin board when I noticed that I seemed to be shaking. Wait a second, I think my desk is shaking, and possibly my chair, and now the walls seem to be shaking. Could this be my ear infection. I remember when in the third grade I had an ear infection that caused mysterious hives all over my body.

Meanwhile, my supervisor had a case of the giggles and she and a graduating students were chuckling away as they ate cookies not noticing that the blinds now seemed to be shaking. A few minutes later, or maybe it was only seconds (it's hard to tell when your world is moving to abnormal rhythms), Ishida-sensei and Sakurai-san noticed that the room was moving. Once we all established that an earthquake had taken place, Ishida-sensei checked the news report and we learned that a very large earthquake had hit the Sendai area.

So things in Wajima are pretty much the same as usual. But keep everyone living on the other side of the Japanese Alps in your minds this coming week.

And now it's time for me to catch some z's. Good night.



http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/11/video-of-the-earthquake-and-tsunami-in-japan/

No comments:

Post a Comment