Sunday, March 7, 2010

Why I love Japan: A Little Optimism

Spring is coming! I can feel it. The snow today tried to say otherwise, but I can still see the signs of spring's arrival all around. Today, Adam and I wandered through the Noto on our way back from a friend's overnight birthday party. Despite the overcast weather and a few snowflakes, the day was exquisite.

From Pleasant Day in the Noto 2010_03_07


The colors of spring are finally beginning to bleed through the grayness that has occupied the past four months.



I love that with each turn that we make on the windy Noto roads, there is something new to explore.







I love how much texture and character this place has, even if it is muddy most of the time and has 65% more rainfall than Seattle.





I am grateful for all of the amazing co-workers and friends I have met here.



Perhaps, my favorite thing about Japan is the number of temples there are scattered around the country, and especially, on the Noto peninsula. If I make a wrong turn, it is very likely that I will stumble upon a temple that blends in with its wooded surrounding, but upon closer look, is defined and elegant. I love the subtlety of these temples and the graceful energy they emit.





And then there's the always interesting, though not so graceful or subtle energy. . .





















Thanks to all my friends and family back at home for remembering and supporting me.

That is enough sentimentality for now. Next up, more about teaching in a Japanese high school.

1 comment: